Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Custom Infrared extender

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
OfAk

OfAk

Custom Infrared extender Empty
PostSubject: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 11:28 pm

I am in the process of building a custom IR extender for handy cams and still shot cameras that are capable in the IR range. If my calculations are correct, it will work on one 9volt battery for 10 hours plus. Might be better than the sony hvl-irm, once all the parts come in I will know for sure. I am tired of the heavy battery pack that you can purchase for the hvl-irm. You can use two double aa batteries but they don't last that long. I will keep you guys informed and if it all works out i might just send ya'll one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/proudgoldsboro
Rick of NKYPS

Rick of NKYPS

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 3:37 pm

I would like to have one of those for my deep infrared camera instead of using the flash which is not very strong. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
OfAk

OfAk

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 1:30 am

Are you talking about a still camera or camcorder rick? I did a test on one led today, these leds are not your typical leds. Very high power. I looked through the lcd screen from my sony DCr h50 (that has IR capabilities)
still camera and was amazed of how much one led was able to fill the whole screen while standing from the wall about 7 feet. In fact it filled up more area than the Sony Hvl-irm that has eight leds. Saturday is the big test period where i am going to finish building the first prototype.

If all goes well it will be better,lighter and more efficient than the sony hvl-irm or the sima extenders.

A night vision camera is only as good as its IR extension, I like the hvl-irm but want something better.

After the test today i am excited to finish it but been so busy with work, with time and patients I see this project helping our team and possibly others with weak extenders.

If anyone has any questions please let me know.
Back to top Go down
OfAk

OfAk

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 2:45 am

Below are some pictures of the prototype. I haven't put it through the whole testing faze but i have good feelings about this one. Soon the full testing will begin and I will compare (with pictures and video that i will post here) between the JC1 (my model) and the sony hvl-irm. I have more ideas to even increase the coverage of the beam (because i can already see this being concentrated) but I haven't found a project box that fits my needs.

If anyone knows of a site that sells project boxes with angles and radius's please let me know. It rained on the sticker of my first prototype when i took it to the car Crying or Very sad you can see the water mark on the sticker from the picture.

[img]Custom Infrared extender Irextender003-1[/img]

[img]Custom Infrared extender Irextender002-1[/img]
Back to top Go down
Rick of NKYPS

Rick of NKYPS

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 1:50 pm

still ir digital camera.
Back to top Go down
OfAk

OfAk

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:13 pm

Rick can you please tell me what model and model number of your camera?
Back to top Go down
OCFPR_Gerry

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 11:04 am

[img]Custom Infrared extender Ir_ill10[/img]

Here's the IR lamp I made up. It's a modified Stanlet tripod flashlight. I removed the lens cover and the white LEDs and replaced them with 10mm triple chip IR LEDs I got on ebay. You can power it off of rechargable AA batteries, or run it off of a wall transformer with the power jack I put on it. There is a resistor part change on the main PC board you need to make since the white LEDs run a different voltage than the IRs do. You can place this anywhere in the room that you are filming/taking pictures of. It will put the light where you need it instead of being attached to a camera and limiting your range.
Back to top Go down
OfAk

OfAk

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Very nice Gerry!

Will a resistor @ 100ohms 5% work for the replacement on the circuit board?

Did you replace the leds in the same holes and wire them the same way? Or did you do it in series? (If not in series already)
Back to top Go down
OfAk

OfAk

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:47 pm

What model number is that tripod?
Back to top Go down
OCFPR_Gerry

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi,

Yeah, the bigger LEDs fit into the same holes of the circuit board. You will however have to drill out the holes in the silver reflector to get the 10mm LEDs to fit. The part number is a Stanley 95-112 Maxlife 369 tripod flashlight. The actual resistor value seemed to vary for each flashlight I modified. I used anywhere from a 27 ohm to 43 ohm resistor 1/4 watt. What I did to determine the resistor value was to start with a 33 ohm resistor in place of what they have on the board, solder one leg of the LED to the board, then take a digital meter and measure the current from the second leg of the LED to the place on the board where you would normally solder it to. The resistors on the PC board are probably going to be surface mount(looks like a little rectangle with 3 numbers on them)- not going throught the board, and probably around 15 to 22 ohms ( they will have a marking of 150, or 220, or something like that on them)These LEDs are rated at 20 mA (miliAmps) max so I'd either lower the resistance to increase the current, or increas the resistance to lower the current to get it close to 20mA. Keeping it just under 20 is better than being a little over because beineg over will shorten the life of the LED. After a few minutes the LED will warm up and reach it's max current draw so if you get close to 20mA flowing through the LED, I'd raise the resistor value to the next highest to allow for the warm up period. I also had a buddy at work cut some flat plastic pieces the shape of the reflector lens with the laser to replace the original lens. This allows the light to spread out instead of focusing it in to a small spot, or you can just leave the old lens off if you wish. As an experiment, you can look at the difference in the light pattern with and with out the bubble lens on the flashlight with your IR camera to see the difference. If you have any questions, or need any help with the modification, just let me know.
Back to top Go down
matt of nkyps
Admin
matt of nkyps

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 3:08 pm

Here is one I made. I bought the led flood light at harbor frieght took all the guts out and bought a ir led board off ebay and this is what I got! A IR LED flood light that runs off a 9v battery for 12 hours!

Custom Infrared extender 101_1111

Last edited by matt of nkyps on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.nkyps.com
matt of nkyps
Admin
matt of nkyps

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 3:10 pm

Here the switch I added on the back

Custom Infrared extender 101_1212
Back to top Go down
OfAk

OfAk

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:34 am

Very nice Matt!!

I'm trying to concentrate more on an IR extender for handy cams, just not happy with what they got out on the market today. IR floods are good to but when you are moving around you need an IR source that moves with you.
Back to top Go down
Rick of NKYPS

Rick of NKYPS

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 8:02 pm

The camera is a SVP DC-12DX. It has been modified to a deep infrared camera.
Back to top Go down
OCFPR_Gerry

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:41 am

For all of you wild and crazy experimenters out there, I just saw on eBay that they now sell 10mm IR LEDs with 5, yes I said 5 led chips in one 10mm package WOO HOO, I'm gonna get me some and maybe make an IR illuminator to attach to a video camera sunny
Back to top Go down
OfAk

OfAk

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 pm

I just got the new 5-chip leds in!!!!! Tested one and it was very bright and filled the whole lcd screen!!! These things rock.

They even come with resistors, it took 12 days to get here, they came from hong kong.
Back to top Go down
OCFPR_Gerry

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Cool, I should be getting mine soon. I got the 5 chip UV leds a couple of weeks ago and I have that illuminator to build, plus my ultra sonic level shifter, and I just modified my parabolic dish from sonic sleuth with a push on/push off switch instead of the pull and hold trigger and cranked up the volume/gain on it too. I better slow down and take some time off for fishing.
Back to top Go down
OCFPR_Gerry

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:31 am

Custom Infrared extender Ir_ill12 My IR illuminator

Custom Infrared extender Ocfpr_10Light from my IR illuminator
Custom Infrared extender Video_10Light from the built in IR light on a Sony video camera
Custom Infrared extender Sony_h10 Light from the Sony HVL-IRM
Back to top Go down
Rick of NKYPS

Rick of NKYPS

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 2:07 pm

Nice
Back to top Go down
matt of nkyps
Admin
matt of nkyps

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:19 pm

Cool! are you just using a 9 volt battery to power those?
Back to top Go down
OCFPR_Gerry

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 5:11 pm

No, the 9 volt batteries don't have as many mA Hrs (milli-amp hours) as other batteries do, so I'm using 3 AA batteries along with a small circuit I made to power the LEDs.
Capacity rating of alkaline cells
With moderate load, the energy density of alkaline batteries is very high. Figure 3 illustrates the rated capacities of the AAA, AA, C, D cells and the 9V pack. Note that these batteries only deliver the specified mAh if discharged through a high resistive load typical of portable entertainment devices.

Battery type Nominal Voltage Rated Capacity* mAh Voltage cut-off
9V 9 volts 570 mAh 4.8 volts
AAA 1.5 volts 1,150 mAh 0.8 volts
AA 1.5 volts 2,870 mAh 0.8 volts
C 1.5 volts 7,800 mAh 0.8 volts
D 1.5 volts 17,000 mAh 0.8 volts

Figure 3: Industrial Alkaline Battery specifications (Courtesy of Panasonic).
* The mAh ratings are for reference only. The actual ratings may vary depending on discharge rate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Infrared extender   Custom Infrared extender Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Custom Infrared extender
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Welcome :: Equipment-
Jump to: