Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike of NKYPS

Mike of NKYPS

DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Empty
PostSubject: DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?   DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 7:35 am

I found this blog on a dog training site and thought it would be a neat experiment to do. Kris Baker from Cross Roads Paranormal Radio asked the question if a dog whistle is used while you are recording. Will your voice recorder pick it up?

Based on James Carter from P.R.O.U.D. this frequency from a dog whistle will fit right into the range of an EVP and should be able to be heard on play back on a voice recorder. This also explains why dogs would act weird if they hear an EVP because they are not used to that frequency.

Dog whistles work on a simple concept that is based upon the fact that dogs are capable of hearing sounds in a much higher frequency range than people can.
The optimum frequency range for humans is around 2,000 Hz. For dogs it is around 8,000 Hz. The maximum frequency limit for humans is 20,000 Hz and for dogs it's 48,000 Hz.
A dog whistle works by forcing air down the length of a cylinder and out of a hole that is split by a sharp edge. The longer the cylinder is the lower the whistle's pitch will be.

Because sounds in this frequency range do not occur very frequently in a dog's world, they perk up and pay attention when they hear it. It's not a "normal" sound and it causes them to stop and think "I wonder what that noise is?"-- or the equivalent thought in dog terms.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nkyps.com
matt of nkyps
Admin
matt of nkyps

PostSubject: Re: DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?   DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 10:13 am

Answer me this...If these "evp's" are outta our range then why can we hear them on the recorders? I mean if they are out of our range in real time, then wouldnt they be out of our range recorded?
Back to top Go down
Mike of NKYPS

Mike of NKYPS

PostSubject: Re: DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?   DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 5:42 am

Possibly, but voice recorders record at different Hz ranges as James explained. When you listen to your recorder the sound is amplified allowing us to hear alot of things we did not hear at the time of recording aleast this is what Im hoping is the case. Other wise I guess they would have to be speaking very softly into the recorder to where we can not hear it.

So this is the experiment to try which I plan on doing. Record a dog whistle with your voice recorder and see if it can be heard on play back.
Back to top Go down
MJ

MJ

PostSubject: Re: DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?   DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 4:08 pm

my question to that is with my experience at bobby mackey's, are evps out of our range or just so low the recorders are more sensitive to pick up cuz we didnt hear it. at mackeys i heard an audible girl laughing, and it turned out to be one of our evps
Back to top Go down
OfAk

OfAk

PostSubject: Re: DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?   DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 11:24 pm

One thing I didn't state on the radio show was DB or decibels, an instance where one thing could be loud enough to hear, or better asked, were we listening or were we just to busy to hear it?

FROM MATT:
"Answer me this...If these "evp's" are outta our range then why can we hear them on the recorders? I mean if they are out of our range in real time, then wouldnt they be out of our range recorded?"

Think of it as if we had the ole fashion television sets, and we were trying to tune in the rabbit ears to get the station to become clear. I have had many recorders recording at once in the same location, and the evp/s had become clearer in only certain ones. I believe that recorder was dialed in right, frequency is very touchy which explains why the evp/s could be heard more clear on certain recorders.Very good topic gentleman! this is a subject i am very interested in.

What about the evp/s you can hear with your own ears?

Had a recent case where that question could be brought up.

We did a private residence Investigation,I asked "are you happy where your at?" the evp was "MY HOUSE" which was heard by LIZ and DEB and we also caught it on the camera audio and the digital recorder (plain as day)

What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/proudgoldsboro
Mike of NKYPS

Mike of NKYPS

PostSubject: Re: DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?   DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 5:47 am

Very cool OfAk,

I just purchased two types of dog whistles. Only problem is I can hear the whistle. I thought the whistles were supposed to be silent which the brand is "Top Paw Silent Whistle" which I got from Pet Smart. So if anyone else knows a different whistle let me know.

These have a littel part that screws into the whistle to make it more high pitch, but not silent. So of course you will hear the whistle on the recorder.
Back to top Go down
OfAk

OfAk

PostSubject: Re: DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?   DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 6:18 pm

They dont make them like they used to , I remmeber the ones you cant! hear with the human ear.
Back to top Go down
Mike of NKYPS

Mike of NKYPS

PostSubject: Re: DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?   DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 5:48 am

Yeah, Thats the one Im on a mission to get. These other ones say silent but I've tried everything and cant make it go high enough. I even did it with my dog sleeping beside me and he never budged. LOL who knows maybe he's deaf.
Back to top Go down
OCFPR_Gerry

PostSubject: Re: DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?   DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 9:18 am

matt of nkyps wrote:
Answer me this...If these "evp's" are outta our range then why can we hear them on the recorders? I mean if they are out of our range in real time, then wouldnt they be out of our range recorded?

I was curious about this too. That's why I built an ultrasonic frequency shifter. It picks up sounds above our range of hearing and shifts them down into an audible range. I didn't design this one, I used the circuit from an ultrasonic detector normally used to listen to bats. The mics used in most devices today are the "electret" types which translate sound waves into an electrical charge. If an EVP is of an electrical nature and not comprised of a sound wave nature they get right into the electronics of the recorder and that might explain how the EVPs get recorded and we don't hear them.
Back to top Go down
OfAk

OfAk

PostSubject: Re: DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?   DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 1:21 am

Very cool Gerry!

OCFPR_Gerry wrote: If an EVP is of an electrical nature and not comprised of a sound wave nature they get right into the electronics of the recorder and that might explain how the EVPs get recorded and we don't hear them.

That is a good point, it is kinda like vocal cords, on a spiritual we could believe that spirits don't have any, but the white noise acts like one.

A good test with that possible theory is taking a 1/8 mic jack( that doesn't have a microphone on the other end (basically bypass the mic to where you can't hear any human voices while recording)
but have the white noise come through, then upload after the investigation (on audio software) and see if any spikes are present, (besides the possible touching of the jack during the investigation.)

Man i hope I am making since Shocked
Back to top Go down
OCFPR_Gerry

PostSubject: Re: DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?   DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 4:44 pm

You will still need somethign to convert electrical signals to something recordable. Constantine Raudive used a germanium diode instead of a microphone to get his recordings. You could try soldering a germanium diode to a 3.5mm plug and plug it into the external mic input of a recorder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?   DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DO DOG WHISTLES HAVE THE SAME CONCEPT AS EVPS?
Page 1 of 1